The Parish of St. Margaret Mary Alacoque is small geographically but draws from the largest area in the Diocese of Oakland according to the places from which our members come. The Parish has been called a “parish of intention” or a magnet parish. People come from several counties and from all areas of the Diocese for both the English and Latin Masses. Ours is the only parish in the Diocese in which the liturgy is regularly offered both in Latin and in English in both the Ordinary and the Extraordinary Forms of the Roman rite.
After the reforms of the Second Vatican Council, the Mass of Pope John XXIII of 1962 (now called the Extraordinary Form) was offered again in the Parish with the permission of Bishop John Cummins according to the Indult (special permission) granted by Pope John Paul II on September 10, 1989. The Diocesan clergy of the Parish beginning with Fr. Vladimir Kozina first offered the Masses in both forms, continuing with Fr. Paul Schmidt and Fr. William Marshall. Masses in the Extraordinary Form are offered daily in the Parish.
Through the decades the Parish has retained many of the traditional liturgical practices of the Church, including at Masses offered in the Ordinary Form. Most recently the Parish has chosen to offer all Masses ad orientem, as a greater sign of our placing Almighty God at the center and focus of the Eucharistic liturgy.
Music is an important part of the way we offer the Sacrifice of Our Lord at Holy Mass. There are several choirs now serving the parish. St. Margaret Mary choir, under the direction of David Sundahl, sings on Sundays at the 10:30am Mass. Music from the classic tradition, as well as modern music in the classic style, is sung, along with Gregorian chant and classical polyphony. St. Margaret Mary’s is blessed to have an operating Moeller Pipe Organ, Opus 6009, installed in 1931. The organ, now consisting of two manuals and 14 ranks, was rebuilt and enlarged in 1988 by the M.P. Moeller Co. of Hagerstown, MD, and recently re-leathered by Schoenstein Co. of Benicia, CA in 2011.
Some parish activities and organizations
Our parish has a St. Vincent de Paul Society. We also offer Religious Education for children preparing for First Communion, for youth preparing for Confirmation, and for adults preparing for Christian Initiation or wishing to review their faith. We have an active youth group for those teens and young adults wishing to deepen their faith. Our parish has a St. Anne’s guild and a Knights of Columbus Council.
Church and hall retrofit project in the Jubilee Year 2000
Our Church and hall have undergone major earthquake retrofitting. This project cost more than $1 million. Degenkolb Engineers, assisted by John Haag, Architect and Oliver Construction completed the project. $250,000 was been raised through donations, bequests, and interest on savings. Fund-raising continues, in hope that all parish savings will not be depleted. As part of the project, Confessionals and rest rooms have been made handicapped-accessible. Sound and light systems in the church and hall were improved and a new upstairs restroom was constructed.
Chronology of pastors/administrators and the dates they served
- Fr. Peter E. Doyle 1922-30
- Fr. William J. Quirke 1930-36
- Msgr. Emmett O’Conner 1936-68
- Msgr. James Quirk 1968-75
- Fr. Kenneth Cabral 1975-84
- Fr. Vladimir Kozina 1984-1994
- Fr. George D. Sullivan 1994-98
- Fr. Paul J. Schmidt 1999-2004
- Fr. Stanislaw Zak Dec 2004 – Nov 2015
- Fr. Rafal Duda, Administrator pro tem, September 2014 – Nov 2015
- Fr. Glenn Naguit, Administrator, appointed Nov 9, 2015 – Present
Others who have resided/helped at our parish
- Fr. Michael J. Jennings
- Fr. Philip J. Enright
- Fr. James McElligott
- Fr. Maurice P. Hannigan
- Fr. Michael Walsh
- Fr. Michael D. O’Brien
- Fr. John M. Sweeney
- Fr. Michael Fitzsimon
- Fr. Chester J. Thompson
- Fr. Edmund Hayburn
- Fr. John T. Gallagher
- Fr. Arthur W. Hoffman
- Fr. Thomas E. Lacey
- Msgr. John S. Cummins, who on May 3, 1977 became the second Bishop of the Diocese of Oakland.
- Fr. William Marshall
- Fr. Don McDonnell
- Fr. Alexander Snyder
- Msgr. Antonio Valdivia
- Fr. David Link
- Abbé Kevin Kerscher, Oblate of ICRSS
- Fr. Turlock Delarghy
- Fr. Samuel Oppong, C.S.Sp.
- Fr. Francisco Nahoe, OFM Conv.
- Fr. Bruce Lamb, OFM, Conv.
- Fr. Mark Mannion
Clergy from the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest (ICRSS)
Episcopal Delegates for the Extraordinary Form in the Diocese of Oakland
- Canon Michael K. Wiener, January 2005 – September 2008
- Canon Jean-Marie Moreau, September 2008 – September 2011
- Canon Henry Fragelli, September 2011 – early 2012
- Canon William Avis, early 2012 – September 2012
- Canon Olivier Meney, September 2012 – Present
Historic Parish Milestones
- Parish founded by Archbisop Edward Hanna, November 1922.
- First Pastor: Rev. Peter Doyle, 1922
- First Mass in rectory at 3615 Emerson St.
- Second Pastor: Rev. William Quirke, 1930
- Plans for new church and rectory developed. William Schirmer, architect. Cost of construction of rectory $23,749 Cost of construction of church $74,085
- First Mass in new church, July 26, 1931, Rev. Edmond Motherway
- Dedication of new church, Archbishop Hanna, October 18, 1931
- Third pastor: Msgr. Emmett O’Conner, 1936
- Holy Family Sisters teach catechism to public school children
- Second Vatican Council opens October 1961
- Alameda and Contra Costa counties become Diocese of Oakland by Pope John XXIII in 1962
- First Bishop of Oakland: The Most Rev. Floyd Begin
- English introduced into the Mass; 10:30 Mass remains a sung Latin Mass.
- Msgr. James Quirk becomes Administrator in 1968
- Rev. Kenneth Cabral becomes Administrator in 1975
- The Most Rev. John S. Cummins, who had resided at St. Margaret Mary’s with Msgr. O’Connor, was appointed Second Bishop of Oakland in 1977
- Fourth Pastor: Fr. Vladimir Kozina, 1984
- The Indult Mass according to the Roman Missal of 1962 is celebrated by Rev. Vladimir Kozina, September 10, 1989, with the permission of Bishop John S. Cummins.
- Rev. George D. Sullivan, Administrator, 1994
- Rev. Paul J. Schmidt, Administrator, 1999
- Holy Family Sisters return to parish in the person of Sr. Claude Marie Crinnion, SHF, Pastoral Associate and former parishioner.
- Major earthquake retrofit of the church and hall undertaken in 2000.
- Fifth Pastor: Fr. Stan Zak, 2004
- Canon Michael Wiener of the Institute of Christ The King arrives in January 2005.
- Our Lady of Lourdes statue dedicated on February 16th, 2008 by Archbishop Tadeusz Kondrusiewicz of Minsk, Belarus
- 90th Anniversary of Parish founding, Mass & Gala Celebration: Sat. November 10, 2012 with The Most Rev. John S. Cummins Bishop Emeritus of Oakland
- Fr. Zak led an Altar server pilgrimage with 25 servers to Rome, Italy in June 2013
- Rev. Rafal Duda, Temp Parochial Administrator 2014 – 2015
- Pilgrim Statue of Our Lady of Lourdes visits parish October 2014
- Rev. Stanislaw Zak retires from parish November 2015
- Rev. Glenn Naguit, Parochial Administrator November 2015
- 1st Parish in the Oakland Diocese to offer the Mass in the Ordinary Form ad orientem on the First Sunday of Advent 2016.
- Raymond Cardinal Burke, Cardinal Patronus of the Order of Malta, visits the Parish and offers the Holy Mass on March 19, 2017.